If you are the victim of a violent crime you may be entitled to compensation from the Government's Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, better known as the CICA
Can I Make a CICA Claim?
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, or CICA, administers a Government funded scheme to compensate victims of violent crime in Great Britain.
Claimants can submit a CICA application themselves, but it often pays to retain an experienced solicitor who can improve the prospects of both obtaining a compensation award and maximising the amount of compensation payable.
As an example of what solicitors specialising in CICA claims can achieve, by reopening a client's case we managed to have their compensation award increased from £7,500 to more than £180,000.
The criminal injuries compensation scheme is a complicated one and our solicitors will be able to guide your CICA claim through the complex maze of regulations.
Here is a summary of the key elements of a CICA compensation claim:
- For criminal injuries compensation to be payable the incident must have been reported to the police as soon as reasonably practicable.
- The application must be made within two years of the incident; unless you are under 18 or there are good reasons for delay, such as in the case of sexual abuse or assault
- Awards can be refused or reduced on the basis of the victim's conduct or their unspent convictions
- The maximum award is £500,000
- Payments for injuries are made in accordance with a tariff and include both physical and mental injuries
- Payments can be made for up to 3 separate criminal injuries
Payments can also be made for:
i) Loss of earnings
ii) Special expenses, such as care
iii) Bereavement and dependency in fatal cases
- The CICA will not pay an applicant's legal costs
- Applications can be reopened and further payments made where appropriate
- Reviews and appeals are also possible
- A "crime of violence" includes sexual assault and threats of violence.
Our experienced CICA solicitors deal with a range of claims for criminal injury compensation, including the following:
We also deal with CICA appeals.
CICA No Win - No Fee
We deal with CICA claims on a No Win - No Fee basis, so if you do not receive compensation you won't owe us a penny. If you win your CICA claim then our fees will be deducted from your award at the rate of 20%, plus VAT.
Make a CICA claim now
Claiming CICA compensation is simple. There are 3 easy options:
- Give us a call on freephone 0808 139 1597
- e-mail us email@example.com.
- Click the button below to access our criminal injuries compensation form.